Osama Krayem was arrested yesterday after France and Belgium launched an extensive investigation after it became clear that the Brussels bombings at the airport and metro was linked to the Paris atrocities which killed 130 people in November 2015.
The 23-year-old jihadi, who is thought to have been the second man alongside metro bomber Khalid El Bakraoui, was caught after he posted pictures and messaged his brother on Facebook, officials said.
Krayem posted a photo of himself on social media, dressed in military fatigues, standing in front of an flag of tawheed and holding an AK-47 in January 2015.
It has now been uncovered that the Swedish national was able to sneak back into Europe by posing as a 28-year-old Syrian national under the name of Naïm Al Hamed.
According to friends for the jihadi “suddenly and unexpectedly” joined the death cult in early 2015.
The friend revealed: “Before he travelled he hung out with his friends from the mosque as usual. He prayed five times a day and no one suspected that we would move to Syria [to become a fighter].
“He was brainwashed here in Malmö, but we do not know by who.”
It has now been revealed that the suspected terrorist made his way to Leros in Greece by using false documents in September 2015.
Krayem then made his way German city of Ulm before he on October 3 was taken to Belgium in a vehicle hired by the Paris terrorist Abdeslam.
He said: “It could be that the ISIS has confiscated his passport, which they often do.
“But it may also be that he made use of the stream of refugees to remain hidden from the security services radar screens.”
Undercover police officers apprehended the 31-year-old extremist, who is believed to have been the third suspect in the attack on Brussels airport in March, after the massive manhunt.
Belgian police confirmed that the ‘man in white’ had been arrested after the force released CCTV footage of the suspected terrorist at Zaventem Airport moments before the first bomb exploded.